Interview Follow Up: 5 Things you should do post interview
So, you’ve had the interview, answered all questions as best you can, dressed to impress and been as professional as you can be. That’s it right? Wrong!! The interview follow up is a vital part of the application process and there are five golden rules to ensure that you make a good impression after the interview. You need to remind the interviewer after your meeting why the reasons why they should hire you.
- Interview feedback: Always ask when you should expect to hear from your interviewer! This way you know when to expect to hear from your potential employer
- Email after interview: You should always send a thank you email or letter as part of your interview follow up strategy. Don’t leave it to long after the meeting, 2 days after at the latest. This lets your interviewer know you appreciate their time and efforts. In your letter you should say how impressed you were with the team, and how you would enjoy working in such an organisation. Remind them of why you want the job, and why they should hire you. However do not go overboard! This is a short letter to say thank you, and to let them know you are still interested. You want to sound interested, but not desperate.
- Be prepared for any scenario: On the day that your interviewer said they would ring, make sure you are prepared. If they ring with good news, then congratulations! If they ring with news that isn’t what you wanted, be gracious and thank them for their time. It is also a good idea to ask why you were not successful, because it maybe something that you can improve on for the future.
- Chase interview feedback: If the day comes and goes, and you still haven’t heard from them, you should always chase them up. Give them the whole day, and the morning after they said they would ring, call them. It is good to show that you are keen and still interested, and you will be kept in the loop in regards to the process.
- Keep your options open: Whilst the interviewer is planning the next step in the recruitment process, always keep looking for other jobs! You never know what is going to happen with the job, and you don’t want to miss out on other jobs because you were waiting.
So there you have it, the 5 golden rules to the interview follow up. Can you think of any more that has worked well for you? If so, contact us and we will share your ideas and tips on this page. Why not subscribe to our newsletter for more great career help and exclusive discounts from CV-Shop.com